Friday, December 08, 2006

Life Does Turn Around, Especially When You're in Seattle - Part Two

Laura Gibson performing at the Sunset Tavern
Adam Selzer, main singer of Norfolk & Western

What a fantastic night. Yup, it does make a difference to just get yourself out there experiencing new things sometimes. Not only did I get to listen to some amazing live music last night, I got to meet some wonderful people from the Seattle indie music scene. None of that would have happened if I hadn't gotten myself out of the house and stepped outside of my comfort zone.

Last night, I went with my Seattle friends Courtney and Peter to a show at the Sunset Tavern. Portland's Laura Gibson and Norfolk & Western were performing as well as a band from Seattle called The Stares.

The night began with beautiful Portland songstress Laura Gibson blowing us away with her intimate and goosebump inducing set of songs for voice, classical guitar, musical saw, violin, banjo, trumpet and keyboard. Laura was magical and impressed me with her gentle, modest and inviting approach to performing. Her bandmates Peter Broderick and Cory Grey were such sensitive musicians who played gorgeous arrangements to Laura's songs. They complimented her performance and added much magic but without ever taking away the spotlight from Laura. It was something magical to experience and it reminded me that we CAN play music that is mostly melodic, beautiful and mellow and still fully captivate our audience. It's all about the music and how you approach the audience.

I spoke with Laura after her performance and offered my flutistic services at a future show. She told me that she's never tried flute out on her stuff before so now I'm extra excited to be the first flutist to collaborate with her. When she gets herself to Canada, we're going to try something out at a live show. Can't wait as I think Canada will love her.

Then a Seattle band called The Stares played a gorgeous set as well. The female vocalist who also plays keys had a voice that turned heads, especially on one song which I only wish I knew the title of as it really stood out from all the rest. Apparently they have a new CD coming out soon and I'm excited to hear it when it's released.

And then there was Norfolk & Western. These folks blew me away in every way. I especially loved the unique and captivating vocals of Adam Selzer and the fantastic drumming of Rachel Blumberg who just happens to be the ex drummer of the Decemberists. I always admire female drummers as I think it takes a lot of guts to play that role in the indie scene. Rachel was amazing and was everything I would look for in the ideal drummer for my own music. It especially blew me away when she picked up the banjo for a song! I was also taken back by multi instrumentalist Peter Broderick who played so many instruments last night, I wondered whether there was anything he couldn't play! These folks did an unbelievable set that had everyone in the audience excited. I expect to see and hear a lot more from these fine and talented musicians.

And you know what really impressed me about these folks as well? They were really friendly people. I went up to Adam Selzer at the end of the night, letting him know that I'd love to try flute with them sometime and asked if there was any way that I could buy one of their CDs with Canadian money. He said yes to both! That warmed my heart. Thanks a bunch Adam if you're reading this. : )

I also have a really good feeling about the indie vibe in Seattle, especially the folks I met last night. When I smiled at people in the bar, they smiled back, and with a warm and genuine smile! It warmed my heart to feel so welcome in a new city and a new scene. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time in Seattle over the winter. It's only a three hour ferry ride to get here from Victoria afterall.

So you see, things really do turn around if you just put yourself out there.

I am so excited to see what happens next as I continue my fun visit in Seattle. I'm sure there will be many crazy moments. I'm going to see Jonathan Richman perform on Monday! I can't wait...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:24 p.m. , Blogger Andrea... said...

Good to read about your adventures lovely lady.... I'm feeling your good vibes all the way over here!

xoxo
Andrea

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home