Friday, December 29, 2006

Antonio Gonzalez - Our Dear Friend

My final recital at the Banff Centre last March.
From left to right: Cheryl, Fred, Antonio, myself, Eugene and Catherine
Antonio Gonzalez, playing bassoon on "Pretty Girl" at my final Banff recital, a moment which brought tears to our eyes as it was too beautiful for words to describe.

Antonio and Vincent partying it up in downtown Banff


Antonio and myself after one too many drinks!

This is rather sad news for those of you who were at the Banff Centre last winter.

Our dear friend, Mexican bassoonist Antonio Gonzalez, passed away last Friday. This news came as a surprise as I was not aware that Antonio was ill. My heart stopped when I read the news. Antonio was far too young to die. I still can't believe that he is gone.

For those of you who didn't know Antonio, this post probably doesn't mean much to you but to those of us who knew him, he will be sadly missed. Antonio was one of those most beautiful people I have ever met, one of those folks who brought sunshine into every room he entered. He was also one of the most amazing bassoonists I have ever heard. Antonio had the most gorgeous sound and played with more passion than I have ever experienced. He also had a way of giving me goosebumps whenever he played. He did a bunch of recording with me while we were in Banff and although I have never shared the recordings of what we did due to my own insecurities of my vocal performance on it, I think it's important to share it with you now. I have posted one of the recordings on MySpace, the song, "Pretty Girl" which is a song about losing my best friend last winter, my dog Sadie. Antonio recorded this song in the studio with me and later performed it with me at my final Banff Centre recital, a moment which brought tears to many people's eyes. It was a moment I will never forget.

Not only was Antonio an amazing musician, he was also a good friend. He was a wonderful listener, a spontaneously fun friend and really knew how to have a good time! I will never have another shot of tequila without thinking about him. Maybe it has something to do with those many bottles of tequila he brought with him from Mexico which got us all in the fun party mode every time! So many amazing memories. I shed another tear...

I will miss you Antonio but wherever you are, I know that where you are is now a happier place to be because of your presence. : ) So long, my friend and we'll meet again, some other time, some other place. Rest in peace.

Love Rozalind

1 Comments:

At 1:07 a.m. , Blogger Vince said...

Beautiful posting. Thanks for putting that up for those of us who knew Antonio.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home