Wednesday, March 09, 2005

It's Time for the Wind Revolution

My time performing in Montreal last weekend was so much fun. I played a really intimate show at the Yellow door with Abigail Lapell, Mélissa Laveaux & Rob Reid and Lindsay Ferguson. I could feel all the amazing history in that place. It was quite magical. Sunday was a wonderful day for me as well. I spent a lot of the day wandering around my favourite haunts in Montreal and even got to check out Tony Dekker's (Great Lake Swimmers) solo show at Casa del Popolo that afternoon. Tony was wonderful as always. It was pretty cool to hear all his new material from his new "Bodies and Minds" CD. We had jammed out a lot of his new material in his Toronto apartment last November so it brought back a bunch of good memories. I got a copy of "Bodies and Minds" that day and listened to it the whole bus trip home. I love it. Definately buy a copy of this CD. It's well worth the money.

So now that I'm back in Ottawa, I'm feeling the downer part of being back from touring. I always notice after a major performance or important tour that I'm a little on the down side of life, mostly because it feels like I have nothing extremely important going on. Of course, that is furthest from the truth! Having just got back from Montreal Sunday night, I am already working on booking a tour for In Support of Living and As The Poets Affirm for June and have been recruiting many indie rock bands for Toronto's Ear to the Ground Festival. I've also been very busy getting Yael and my Banff Centre for the Arts Short Term Artist's Residency proposal together as well as actively working on starting a collaborative Nostalgica record label. But with all that being said, I haven't been performing as much as I normally do which is getting me down a bit as that's what I live for and thrive on.

I've been thinking lots about how difficult it is to be a fluter trying to break it into the indie music community. You see, string players are far more in demand these days. Everyone loves the sound of the cello and the violin is a commonly recorded instrument as well but rock flute just isn't very common these days. I was talking with Ryan of As the Poets Affirm recently and mentioned to him the title of my upcoming CD, "It's Time for the Wind Revolution." He thought that was pretty cool and we both agreed that yes, it IS time for the wind revolution to happen in the indie rock community. I know I've already mentioned this in a past blog but I'm mentioning it again as I think it's really important. I believe that now's the time to get us talented windplayers into the mainstream and I'm going to do my best to make that happen. Although many songwriters don't immediately think of the flute as being integral to their sound, I have managed to convince quite a few of them along the way that the sound of the flute can add a truly magical element to their song arrangements. I'm going to keep introducing my flutin' skills to the musical world and we'll see where it gets me. Give me five years and I think I'll be singing a different tune, along with a bunch of other fine windplayers.

Love Rozalind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home