Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I'm Lovin' This Life!

It's one of those days when I can feel that it's all coming together. It's really exciting when that happens. As artists, we work so hard each day trying to make it in this crazy biz and we often forget to acknowledge all the little things we are accomplishing from day to day. Those things are so important to remember. One of my friends explained to me that building a music career is like building your dream house. First, you gotta work your butt off building that foundation and with every added day of work, something more beautiful comes out of it. Well, I'm building that house and it's gonna be gorgeous by the time I'm finished! I'm already catching glimpses and I'm liking it.

So you're asking, what does a typical day look like for fluter Rozalind? Maybe you don't care and if that's the case, you can stop reading my blog and move on to something else that interests you as it doesn't seem like flutin is your thing. Today I have learned so much about how the music industry ticks. There's so much to learn that it can be quite overwhelming sometimes. Today I feel like I've been given some important pieces to the puzzle. I've been slugging away researching FACTOR grants, writing bios, recruiting bands for Ear to the Ground, booking gigs and organising tours for the upcoming months, emailing galore to just about every type of industry folk (my last count was 50 of them since I began at 10am), web research (about bands, festivals, online music sites and blogs), listening and preparing tunes for upcoming shows, practising my flutes to keep up my technique, teaching about flutin' to my flute students and of course, blogging. My day is not done and it's almost 10pm and I'm not complaining. I still have another three hours to go but it's the excitement of it all and the variety that keeps me going. I love it. I love learning, I love sharing and I love discovering new things all the time.

Got some cool shows coming up in the next few weeks...Confirmed for a Kingston Grad Club show with The Acorn, As The Poets Affirm and Elliott Brood on April 8th. Man, that's going to be a fun night! Just found out that I'll be making a guest appearance with Matthew Barber on March 24 at the Black Sheep. I'm playing with the In Support of Living folks for the final Blow Up in TO on March 26. And get this: I've sent an email to the management of Snow Patrol to see if they'd be interested in a guest fluter during their Canadian dates as well. They'll probably think I'm absolutely nuts but hey, it's worth a shot. The flute would be so magical in "Grazed Knees" but it's hard to prove that to a bunch of people who I have never met before and who have never seen me play. We'll see if I get a reply. Highly unlikely but I am learning that it's all about the numbers and good timing. The more I put into my work, the more I get out of it. Hey, I'm here to stay so I might as well make my presence known.

Now back to writing my Banff proposal...it's coming along nicely and I'm getting so excited by the prospect of being in the mountains as of next January...

Love Rozalind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home