Monday, February 20, 2006

WOW 2006 - Jasper and Edmonton

WOW 2006, the two day trip I spent on the road with my good friend Fred that took us from Banff to Jasper to Edmonton. We called it WOW 2006 because that seemed to be the most popular word coming out of our mouths the entire time we were travelling together! I don't think I've had that much fun on a road trip ever!

This pic was taken just outside of Jasper, on our way to Edmonton. The sun was beginning to set and it was a spectacular view. I was just amazed by how many elk were in this one spot! I stood there for ages, soaking it all in and never wanting to leave. What beautiful animals.
Same place, with a view of the mountains and more elk. On this trip, I also saw a female moose and a coyote. Talk about a truly magical place!
Fred in Jasper, standing by the town's cutest cartoon character. You find these guys everywhere in Jasper! It's well worth the drive. In just over three hours from Banff, you get to experience some of the most beautiful mountain driving I have ever experienced.
Just hanging around!
The Columbia Icefields. You should see this for real. It was spectacular and so beautiful with the sun shining bright. The picture misses the blues that were so striking to experience in person!

Edmonton's Velvet Underground, this really cool indie spot that just happened to be a block away from our downtown hotel. We stumbled upon it after I read in the weekly music listings that a Vancouver band I've always wanted to see, called, You Say Party! We Say Die! was performing there. Am I ever glad we checked it out! The band in this picture is an Edmonton band called, The Frosted Tipz. Their main singer just happens to have the same name as me, Rosalind! How cool is that? Man, they really rocked. They reminded me of what I've been really missing since I moved out to Banff - indie rock! Got a good dose of it that night and more in Fred's truck as we were driving.
This was a guy I met at the Velvet Underground, named Dan who is a science student at the University of Alberta. Super cool guy. Fred and I had such a great time hanging out with him. I look forward to hanging out again with Dan when I'm in Edmonton at the end of March. He's gonna take me to all his fave spots...
The headlining band, You Say Party! We Say Die! They put on a fantastic show.
More band pics of You Say Party, We Say Die!...
And another one of Dan and I. Fun times! How I love meeting new people on the road. It's amazing how you can connect so easily with folks you hardly know if you're open to it.
Me and yet another glass of Crown Royal on the rocks. The night became pretty hazy after a few too many! I even forgot the fleece of my jacket that night and luckily was able to get it the next morning when the cleaning people were there at 9am!
Fred's getting the boot out of Edmonton! This was taken close to the West Edmonton Mall.

Other trip highlights:

Wandering around the West Edmonton Mall and shooting video. What a huge place and they have EVERYTHING and I mean, EVERYTHING there! You got to experience it for yourself to truly understand....Listening to awesome tunes the whole time we were driving in Fred's truck and all those great talks...Eating candy and popsicles on the way back to Banff...and so much more...

I have so much more footage of our trip, including amazing shots of the mountains while we were driving but it's all in video format. Got to figure out how to post video on my blog soon so that I can share more stuff with sound. It's pretty entertaining to listen to all the dialogue, that's for sure!

Fred, thank you for such an amazing trip. You are an angel for taking me hostage and showing me this beautiful province.

That's all for now... : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home