Friday, February 03, 2006

Banff - Week? February 3rd, 2006

Hey Everyone!

Sorry it's been a while. I got myself awful sick with a bad virus that was a mixture of the flu and a really bad cold and then pinched a nerve in my neck to top it all off. Made for interesting times. The good news is that I'm back at it and feeling great! I wrote two new songs tonight, titled, "My Life Sentence" and "Crying on the Inside." You would think from the titles that they are really dark and I guess parts of them are but they needed to come out. This is supposed to be a personal blog so I might as well share what it feels like to be a musician, on the bad days...

Photo: Rozalind MacPhail


My Life Sentence

Words and Music by Rozalind MacPhail

Catch me on a good day and I'll say I love what I do
I'll share my proudest moments and maybe even share a tune with you
But catch me on a bad day and I'll sing a very different tune
I'll call it my life sentence and I'll share stories about what makes me so damn blue...

It's my life sentence to do what I do
I just don't see any other way of life
It's my life sentence to do what I love to do
And I choose to stick it through

Call me stubborn, call me persistent, call me motivated
Call me whatever you choose
I'm here for good
and I will always remain,
I'm here to stay.

So many highs, So many lows
Unexpected moments,
Never knowing where to go
Obstacles as high as mountains
and disappointments that can crush the soul
Meeting assholes who never seem to tell the truth

But the good moments are rays of sunshine
and make every bit of pain worthwhile
The adrenaline of the stage
It's an addiction,
that I cannot give up
for it is fruit for my soul...

5 Comments:

At 2:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Roz,
I love your new song and its so true. I haven't been headlong as much as you've been the last few years and found a niche elsewhere in music, but I feel your pain and joy for sure. Hope you're feeling better, I myself have to drag off sick to a gig - the show must go on! From one snowy place to another - love, light, music and namaste Eve

 
At 2:58 p.m. , Blogger Mystery Flute Girl said...

Hi Eve!

So nice to hear from my dear St. John's friend! I hope you have a great gig tonigh and I hope you feel better real soon!

I owe you a phonecall but it will have to wait until I can afford a long distance calling card! Yikes!
That's gonna be the next song, about being broke...

Thanks for the kind words about my new song. Yeah, that one came out easily. I wrote the lyrics in the laundromat and then one night, the music just poured out of me. It was a really great experience as usually songwriting isn't so easy for me. I feel like a child when I'm writing most of the time.Other songwriters say it only takes practice and I believe them.

I'll post the other lyrics from my other new songs as well in the upcoming weeks. Got a special one for Valentine's Day about a certain someone I was seeing just before I left Ottawa...

Lots of love Eve! Wish you could be here as I miss you so and would love to give you a huge hug right now. : )

Love Rozalind

 
At 9:39 p.m. , Blogger Eroick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:40 p.m. , Blogger Eroick said...

Nice amp, I have one of those. :)

I might be going skiing in Banff over march break. How's the snow :P?

Anyway, sounds like you're having a great time there. Look really fun too :). You are living the dream which so few get to do, living off music. Lucky!

From one of your Ottawa fans,
Eric Evenchick

 
At 10:25 p.m. , Blogger Mystery Flute Girl said...

Hey Eric!

Good to hear from you! Hope all is well out in Ottawa.

I hope you do get out here for March Break as it is so much fun. There are people travelling to this special spot from all over the world and I've been told that this is an awesome year for skiing. Haven't had much time to get out there but I'm certainly enjoying winter nonetheless! No brown snow out here, all beautiful and clean white.

Let me know if you are coming out in March and I'll try to give you a tour of the Banff Centre campus.

Warm Wishes,

Love Rozalind

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home